Translate

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Are You Hiding From God?


Genesis 3:8
New International Version (NIV)

Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

Adam and Eve were hiding from God because they had just committed the first sin, thus the fall of man...and the beginning of problems for all of mankind from then until now and into the future :(  No one was ever exempt from sin except Jesus Christ, and no one will ever be until the end of time. Let's talk about how this shows up in everyone's lives young or old.

We are in the middle of trying, and I use that term lightly, to potty train my son who is two and a half now. By the time my daughter was his age, we weren’t even using pull-ups at night, she was completely and totally trained and wearing her big girl panties. Not him! He is just as stubborn and smart as his Sissy, but he wants no part of going on the potty. Believe me, I have tried to bribe him with little stuff like candy skittles, to a motorized Ford F150 riding toy. He totally does NOT care one bit if he walks around with poopies in his diaper. And before I go on, let me tell you this is my words coming back to bite me in the bottom. I was so cocky about having my daughter trained that I was so critical of those which took longer to train their tots.


So, my son now tries to hide to do his business, as many kids often do. But today he went into the pantry, pulled the doors behind him, and began to do his “thing.” When I opened the doors to inquire as to what he was doing, knowing full well he was pooping, he said no and pulled the doors back closed. Of course, as adults we don’t hid in the closet to poop our pants, but we do often try to hide our mistakes from others and God. Why I’m not sure, because most of the time we are often found out anyway, and God already knew. It truly is impossible to hide from God, as His word says He is omnipresent; meaning He is everywhere at all times. We can never ever leave His sight, which is great should we need His protection, guidance, or any other host of things God does to help us along. However, when we have made a mistake, or even worse, knew we were doing something wrong but did it anyway; this is when we as adults are like Luke trying to hide in the closet so no one can see us. I am thinking this is because we often want to do something so bad, and we don’t want to risk someone stopping us, even if it would be for our own good and protection. Just as Luke doesn’t want me to stop him from pooping his diaper, we don’t want to be stopped from our sinful nature. And as always, there are often consequences for our actions which everyone ends up seeing anyway. So hiding is really a waste of our time. What we need to try to do is think about those things we would not want to be caught doing if Jesus returned that very moment; things we would want to hide and do anyway.

For Psalms 139:7-12 says, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me,your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."

Our God is an awesome God, and He is always there to see the good, bad, and the ugly; whether we like it or not, it can’t be changed. What we can do is change ourselves to live a life out of the darkness and into the light of Christ; a life filled with moments that never have to be hidden from our friends, family, or God in our minds. Stopping and thinking about our actions throughout our day, and making every moment count. No more hiding from the Father, besides it is often scary in the dark! Make it an amazing week as we share the Thanksgiving meal with family and friends. And don’t forget to thank and praise the One who will always supply us with our daily bread and living water!


1 comment: