Translate

Saturday, October 13, 2012

What does Your Worldview Consist of...and how did you get it?


Republican vice presidential nominee Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin answers a question.


If a wise man has an argument with a fool,  the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.   Proverbs 29:9 (ESV)
                                                                                               

On my other blog, "Smile and Just Move On," I tried my very best to provide a true picture as I observed the vice presidential debate putting my bias aside.  However, on this one, I will not...I will allow my Christianity to shine through.  So if you don't want to hear it, that's okay, just click off this post now; I'm alright with it.  And my reasoning for writing this is not to even sway you from how you should vote, but to voice how I have been taught my whole life, as both a Catholic, and now born again Christian, to conduct my life and decisions based on my faith.

Our faith should permeate every single fiber of our lives, and is the basis to which we make our decisions both big and small.  Whether you recognize it or not, it affects how you think, act, react, and so forth.  It is called your worldview.  Now, if you are reading this and you have no religious affiliation, or simply don't believe in God, Buddha, or any others, well then, I suppose you are just acting on what you have learned over your lifetime and that in itself is your basis.  Your bias is not to have a bias at all, which I suppose is actually a bias to have no bias, if that makes sense. In other words, "Everyone has a worldview. Whether or not we realize it, we all have certain presuppositions and biases that affect the way we view all of life and reality. A worldview is like a set of lenses which taint our vision or alter the way we perceive the world around us. Our worldview is formed by our education, our upbringing, the culture we live in, the books we read, the media and movies we absorb, etc. For many people their worldview is simply something they have absorbed by osmosis from their surrounding cultural influences."(1)

 My Christian worldview is what makes me prolife, resist profanity, abstain from extramarital affairs, choose what I have learned as morally sound when making all my decisions, and you get the point.  The question was proposed at the debate over the issue of abortion, and what I don't quite understand is how Biden could say he was a Catholic and then make a stance for prochoice/abortion.  It completely goes against what he has been taught as a Catholic and his worldview.  This is not something that we turn on and turn off depending on whether we are at work or home.  It IS who we are...our minds make-up so to speak.  And well, my understanding of how you can go to church on Sunday believing what your church says about issues, then on Monday go to work and completely do the opposite...Well, that is just not how I roll.  And quite honestly, isn't how I feel our President who claims he is Christian, and our VP who claims to be Catholic should roll either.  If you aren't sure how your worldview rates, there is a quiz to find out at Christian worldview test.  I know my faith and belief in Jesus Christ alters every step in take in my life, whether its correct and I feel peace, or I go against God's will, then deal with my guilt.  Either way, it is who I am and saying I believe one thing but at work say another is well...just wrong in my opinion.  But then again, who am I to judge; and I am far from perfect, but at least I know where I stand in all aspects of my life!     (1)excerpt from Christianworldview.net

No comments:

Post a Comment